(Seattle, WA USA) Greetings from ground-zero of the novel coronavirus in the United States. Seattle has a vaccination rate of >80%, and no matter where you live, vaccination is your best defence against getting seriously sick.
Symptoms of minor cases of Covid-19 infection are similar to a severe cold or flu and include: fever >101.5, headache, and cough. A common hallmark symptom is loss of taste or smell. Severe symptoms indicating the need for urgent medical care include: severe shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of consciousness (or inability to be aroused), blue face/lips.
Unlike the influenza virus, with an incubation period of ~2 days, Covid-19 can have a incubation/prodromal period as long as 14 days (average ~5 days). This means that asymptomatic carriers can easily infect others well before they feel sick themselves.
The Delta varient of corona virus is 1.5-1.6 times as infectious. Vaccinated people can still get infected and spread the disease, but are unlikely to get seriously ill. The vast majority of hospitalisations for Covid-19 are occuring in unvaccinated adults. Thankfully, children are highly unlikely to get seriously sick or require hospitalisation if they get covid-19.
The top priority for all people and governments should be to slow the spread of new infections. Reducing the total number of cases is a real benefit, but the more important goal is to blunt the *spikes* in the total number of cases. This must be done to prevent overwhelming healthcare resources like respirators and hospital capacity for those that become critically ill.
The primary tools to blunt the spread of COVID-19 are:
- Get vaccinated. The Pfizer and Moderna mRNA 2-shot series are the most effective.
- Simple hygiene: hand washing, covering coughs, sanitizing frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Social distancing: avoid indoor social gatherings movies, concerts, restaurants, conferences, and stay >6 feet apart from others.
- Testing: if you have any upper respiratory symptoms, get tested. Even if you think it might be a common cold or allergies. The PCR testing is highly sensitive, specific and accurate at identifying current infections. The Antibody tests are less so–and do not indicate if you are currently infected.
Lifestyle tips to protect yourself and loved ones:
- Sleep: Aim for 7.5-9.0 hours a night. Take melatonin or Mag-threonate as needed.
- Do a 12+ hour fast every day (e.g. 6pm-8am).
- Hydration: Drink 2.0-3.0 liters per day. (that’s 8-12, 8oz glasses of water)
- Movement: Keep your body moving. Aim for 10,000 steps. Do not exercise to exhaustion or extremes.
- Relaxation: pets, walking, sunsets, snuggles, L-theanine lozenges
- Avoid sugar and other empty calories.
- Sunlight: the UV light from the sun is actually quite effective at killing COVID.
- Avoid/limit alcohol.
Emergen-C Immune+, 1-3/day each one contains:
- Vitamin C: 1000 mg
- Zinc: 10-15 mg
- Vitamin D 1000
Elderberry Gummies 3/day each one contains:
- Elderberry: 100 mg
- Vitamin C: 90 mg
- Zinc: 7 mg
- Propolis: 50 mg
- Echinacea: 25 mg
- 10,000 IU/day
If you feel sick with symptoms that could be COVID-19:
- Self-isolate for 2-weeks, or the duration of your illness +5 days.
- Call a primary care provider (MD, ND, DO, ARNP), to determine if you are a candidate to be tested for COVID-19. They should ask about your symptoms and contact with others known to have the disease.
- Get tested if the test is ordered. Ask about the availability of drive-through testing.
Call 911/EMS right away if you or someone you are caring for has:
- *Major* shortness of breath. If they can say “Trump is a nincompoop” without gasping, they’re probably not there yet.
- Other Emergency warning signs include*:
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face.
(*This list is not all-inclusive. Consult with your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.)
Supplements for COVID-19 or other severe viral infections:
- ***TOP RECOMMENDATION***
NAC (click here) 1000-2000mg 3x/day. Take with a *full* pint of water. This is critical because it will thin and loosen mucus in chest and sinuses. This alone can prevent respiratory distress and needing ventilator/ICU care.
- L-Lysine (click here): 3000mg 2x/day. That’s 6, 500mg capsules twice a day)
- Vitamin A and D: Increase to 50,000 IU of each 3x/ day for up to 3 days. (Maximum of 5,000 of A and D 2x/day if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant)
- Zinc: increase to 50mg daily
- Vitamin C: 500-1000 mg 3-6x/day (up to bowel tolerance)
- Elderberry: Increase the dose to 500mg 3x/day for the first 3-4 days.
May we all be well!