“Chronic Disease of any kind (in the absence of geneic or acquired immune deficiency) is never a single issue. In some proportion, the effectors listed feed into the terrain that allows the chronic illness to exist.”
~Paul Anderson, ND
Naturopathic doctors and functional medicine providers are often seeking to help patients who have not been well-served by conventional medicine. I call these patients, “medical refugees”. If you are one of these patients, or a provider that tries to help them, you know this is not easy work. It can feel like dark and impenetrable wilderness, but there are places to look.
When a patient is complex or is not responding to therapies as expected, it pays to consider whether unexplored “blocks” to optimal health in play.
- Cell Functon: Micronutrient deficiencies, excessive oxidation, mitochondrial dysfunction
- Toxins: Heavy metals, plastics, pesticides, persistent fat-soluble chemicals, genetic differences in biotransformation (esp. Phase II)
- Biofilms: Molds, bacterial commuities, parasites
- Immunology: Chronic infections, autoimmunity, immune deficits or imballances
- Endocrine: Suboptimal or disordered thyroid, adrenal, and sex hormone function
- Psychosocial/Neuro-emotional: Current or recent stressors, past trauma,
- Digestive – GI: macronutrient absorption, leaky gut, food reactions, dysbiosis
- Physical – Structural: Spinal, impingements, restrictions
So if you have a chronic condition is not responding to conventional medicine, three or more chronic or recurrent symptoms that are unexplained, find a licienced ND or certified functional medicine provider and ask to have these areas sensitively and eficiently explored. You may find yourself back on the path to health faster than you immagined. Anderson Eight 2019 WANP
(Credit to Paul Anderson, ND who presented on the “Anderson Eight” at the 2019 WANP annual conference in Seattle, WA.)